Saturday, February 12, 2011

Alcohol

Terence and I have a rather open view on alcohol and children - I guess I got it from when I was growing up. We felt that if you allow children to taste the alcohol you are drinking then it isn't a mystery or 'taboo' to them and they are less likely to go out getting drunk as a teenager as they can taste alcohol responsibly in their own home, in a safe environment.

Kayleigh attitude towards alcohol depended on what is was. She didn't really like the taste of beer, unless it was a corona with lime - which she only had the bottom centimetre in the bottom of the bottle (the warm bit). Kayleigh quite liked the taste of Kahlua - mainly because I made Kahlua balls last christmas and she ate almost all of them. She also didn't mind the taste of Baileys. A couple of months before she passed away, I had bought a pack of citrus Vodka Cruisers - not something I buy many off, but I felt like it at the time. I came home and put them in the fridge and went outside with one while Terence had a beer. After finishing it, I cam inside to find that one had been opened and was half gone!!!!!!. I sat down with Kayleigh and Natassja and told them how disappointed I was, and they only had to ask first if they wanted a taste. Neither admitted to it, although I did suspect Kayleigh at the time (she wasn't a very good lier). I went back outside and did a bit of gardening and came back inside for a cold drink and low and behold the half empty bottle now only had a centimetre in the bottom!!!!

I looked Kayleigh straight in the eyes and asked her how the cruiser was - she said 'Yum!' and then realised what she admitted to :) I told her off again and she was a little remorseful - but not really, she liked that cruiser. I never did buy another one and Kayleigh never really drank anything else without asking first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments, write below. And yes you don't have to be logged in to comment.